Monday 22 April 2013

Have You Seen My Children?


Did you like The Thing in the Chimney, my unofficial DCC holiday adventure from last year?  Well, I'm giving away more.

On my birthday, August 4th 2013, I am going to release another free unofficial product that I will email to anyone who posts to a blog, writes a review, or posts on Google+ or similar, about any of the following products:

AL1:  Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror (Purple Duck Games)
AL3:  Through the Cotillion of Hours (Purple Duck Games)
AL5:  Stars in the Darkness (Purple Duck Games)
CE1:  The Falcate Idol (Purple Duck Games)
CE2:  The Black Goat (Purple Duck Games)
CE3:  The Folk of Osmon (Purple Duck Games)
Mermaids From Yuggoth (from In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer by Mystic Bull Games)
Icon of the Blood Goddess (from In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer by Mystic Bull Games)


Tomb of the Squonk (part of Pulp Weird Encounters #1 from Mystic Bull Games)
The Thing in the Chimney
Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between (Dragon’s Hoard Publishing)
The Revelation of Mulmo (Dragon’s Hoard Publishing)
The Imperishable Sorceress (Goodman Games, Free RPG Day)
Well of the Worm (Goodman Games, DCC rules conversion of Harley Stroh's adventure, DCC #76.5)

There will be other adventures published between now and then, and as they are published they will be added to the list.  Be on the lookout for:

The Arwich Grinder (Crawl! Fanzine) - This one keeps getting pushed back, so only Rev Dak and a few playtesters can actually comment on it......
CE4:  The Seven Deadly Skills of Sir Amoral the Bastard (Purple Duck Games)
Gifts of the Only (Brave Halfling Publishing)


Why am I doing this? 

First off, I love DCC and I want you to blog about it, write about it, and otherwise help to keep interest about it circulating in the InterWebs.

Second off, these brave publishers took a chance with my work, and I would really like to help them drum up sales for these products.  There should always be a DCC product in the Top 10 at RPGNow IMHO….whether it is the newest release from Goodman Games (and The Sea Queen Escapes is excellent, by the way!) or Purple Sorcerer (ditto Lair of the Mist Men) or Brave Halfling (ditto The Witch of Wydfield).

Third, writing is a lonely occupation, in which you throw your children out into the world, and they never let you know how they are doing.  If you have seen my children, I’d like to know.

Finally, taking a page from J.R.R. Tolkien’s hobbits, I’ve decided to give presents on my birthday.  If this is successful, I might even make it an annual tradition!

How do you qualify?  Follow these simple steps:

(1)  Write something about one of the above products.  Remember that the list will be updated as new products are released.  Love it, hate it, how it played for you, whatever.  What you say is up to you.
 
(2)  Comment on this post with a link to your new piece of writing.  If you’ve written on two or more of these adventures in the past – and I am looking at The Iron Tavern and Tenkar’s Tavern here, although there may be others – you can link to those posts.  If you’re using any of these adventures as a DCC World Tour stop, that would be really cool to hear about.

(3)  Send me an email at ravencrowking at hotmail dot com with your email address.

What’s the Prize?

Because of the low turnout, the prize is a single patron, but one which is fully fleshed out:  Hizzzgrad, Daemonic Lord of Crawling Things.

24 comments:

  1. Your adventures are AWESOME Daniel, can't wait to see your Crawl! submission. I've also read something that's being released around June 15th, that wasn't mentioned above and I think I've already told you that I LOVED IT...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased that they are pleasing you.

      Delete
    2. And now I can finally say it...glad you liked The Imperishable Sorceress, and I certainly hope you enjoy all that Free RPG Day has to offer!

      Delete
    3. I am not taking part in this only because your adventures are worth every cent I pay for them!

      Delete
    4. ...and I will continue to sing your praises on the DCC boards.

      Delete
    5. I appreciate the kudos, but the material I produce for the "mathoms" will not become available anywhere else, unless one of the participants chooses to share them with you.

      As I go forward, working on more materials, it would help to know better what worked, and what did not work, for people in the previous stuff. In addition, I'd like to do whatever I can to boost sales on the earlier material because, even though with very few exceptions (one!) I stand to make no extra money by doing so, I have worked with some great people. I would like to see their investments pay off.

      (I just noticed, btw, that The Thing in the Chimney has disappeared from dev-host, and the link now leads to a different file.)

      Delete
  2. By any chance, are you a Genesis fan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly know of Genesis, but I haven't been able to parse out why you ask. Did I make an inadvertent reference?

      Delete
    2. Squonk is a song from the album A Trick of the Tail. You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzL-up4ZKgI

      Delete
    3. Nah, I come by the name via a basic knowledge of American folklore.

      Delete
  3. I'm a luddite when it comes to my gaming materials. I want hard copies...well I did until I took a chance with AL2: Cotillion of Hours. Since then I have swooped up digital copies of each of the AL series and plenty of the other small publishers (including LotFP), but honestly the Cotillion is really well written and likely my favorite adventure to run for DCC so far. Keep up the great work and I will keep buying/running your products. I post regularly on the DCC forums so other folks reading this post can find my reviews and reports there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I post regularly with the handle "skars"

      Delete
    2. Hey there, Skars. Did you get a chance to read Stars in the Darkness (AL5)?

      Delete
  4. AL 3: Through the Cotillion of Hours is available in Print-On-Demand. I have a print copy sitting on my shelf. AL 4 and AL 5 will be as well probably in June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, halfway through AL:5 - I expect the review will be tomorrow or Thursday.

    You know I really enjoy your stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there!

    Good idea, this is a great way of letting other people know about your amazing adventures. I've written a short review of Through the cotillion of hours; it's in Spanish, so I don't know if I qualify for this treat:

    http://josemasaga.net/?p=783

    In any case, thank you very much and please, keep bringing us your excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Of course Spanish qualifies! For one thing, Google does a reasonable job of translation! For another thing, since the "rules" allow you to say either good things or bad, even if I were unable to read it, it would qualify.

      Delete
  7. Apart from the unpublished stuff, I own everything you've produced except for Folk of Osman. Which I'm going to buy anyway.

    So... I vote for Mermaids from Yoggoth. I thought it was excellently inventive and creepy and really stood out. It takes a bit of effort to set up (and I've set it up, but not yet 'activated' it), but I think it's gonna be worth it.

    I've just started running The Imperishable Sorceress. I modified it a bit (I always modify a bit), but I'll be posting a play report soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raven Crowking, here is my review of Daniel Bishop's and Paul Wolfe's ANGELS, DAEMONS and THINGS BETWEEN on RPGnow. Thank you for spurring us to good works. Happy Birthday

    David E.
    http://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=109995

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Arm is one of Paul Wolfe's, and he did a damn good job with it!

      Delete
  9. There's no need to call your genderless child anytime soon, because they are doing just fine.

    http://purpleminotaur.blogspot.fi/2013/08/mini-review-ce3-folk-of-osmon-by-daniel.html

    Thanks for writing this awesome product and happy bithday in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to mention I'm looking forward to checking these products out, I wonder if I could get them all printed and bound instead of PDF someday, the more books I have for my shelves the better. Here's a promotion of the creativity above:

    http://fablesofrenown.blogspot.com/2013/08/have-you-seen-raven-crowkings-children.html

    Happy Birthday on the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your stuff, here is my contribution to the effort:
    http://worldoferoc.blogspot.com/2013/08/patrons-and-things-world-of-eroc-grows.html

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.